Sunday, May 9, 2010

On Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. Having a mother who loves and cares for me is one of the greatest blessings in my life and I find myself filled with compassion for people who are unable to know and love their mother.

I've been thinking about how blessed I am to have grown up knowing the love of my mother. I've been thinking about how I would be different today had it not been for who she is and who she wanted me to be.

Today, I've been thinking about all the moms around the world who are victims of poverty and abuse; all the moms who are living with circumstances that cause them to make impossible choices about their children.

I've been thinking about the mom who, in an effort to provide for her child, sells her body. I've been thinking about the mom who stays with the abusive partner because he's providing economic resources that she can't. I've been thinking about the mom who gives her child away in the hopes that he or she will have a better life. I've been thinking about the mom who sells her child into slavery. And I get angry. I get angry because there are women all over the world who make these choices.

I am not angry at the mother. I am angry that there are circumstances like poverty that result in these choices. I am angry because these women, even the mother who sells her child, are still mothers. I'm angry that as humans, we can't create circumstances for every mother and child that allows them to give and experience the love I felt growing up. 

On this Mother's Day, I thank God for my mother and I pray for mothers around the world who are unable to care for their children. I pray for those mothers grieving the loss of their child, through any circumstance. I pray that God will lift these women and hold them and that they will know the peace that comes from loving God and placing it all in His hands.

If you need something to pray for this Mother's Day,  join me in praying for those children who are without their mothers, whose mothers are unable to teach them about God's love. Pray that they will know that God loves them.


And pray for those ministering to orphans around the world, that they will have patience and compassion and that God will give them the strength to carry on their important work.




On this Mother's Day, thank God for your mom! I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment