Monday, July 5, 2010

"Oh -- and I'm going on a misson trip"

It's that time of year when people ask "Any plans for this summer? Traveling at all?"  For the most part, this trip has been something that's existed in another reality -- so much so that it's not the first thing I think of when someone asks the question about my summer plans. I'll usually start with, "No, just small weekends here and there, " and then it will hit me. "Oh yeah - and I'm going to Colombia on a mission trip." People probably think I'm being nonchalant about it on purpose but I promise you, I'm not.

I have to keep reminding myself that this trip is on the horizon and every time it crosses my mind, so do the words, "Holy crap."

What in the world am I doing? This seemed like such a good idea a few months ago and now the reality is sinking in. If I start to think about it too much, little whimpers escape my chest. I. Am. Getting. Nervous.

I'm not nervous in the sense that I think Colombia is a dangerous place...though many people are eager to tell me to be careful (The last State Department travel advisory was issued in March). No, my nervousness comes from knowing that in less than a month, I'm going to be face to face with the children at Open Arms Foundation and I'm not sure what I can offer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment